Master of Science in Information Science, 2006.
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC.
Bachelor of Arts in English, minor in Philosophy, 1994
Concord University, Athens WV
COMPUTING SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- SAS 9, including completion of SAS Programming I, II, and macro courses at SAS Institute.
- OpenRefine data cleansing and reconciliation software.
- Tableau data visualization software
- Blender and Tinkercad shapefile (.stl) creation and validation software.
- Operating Systems: Windows (XP, Server 2003, Server 2008, 7, 10), Linux, Mac OS X/macOS.
- Bash scripting.
- Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Compressor, iMovie, GarageBand.
- Databases: MySQL, FileMaker Pro.
- Microsoft Office.
- Adobe Photoshop, Acrobat, Premier and After Effects.
- Innovative Interface’s Millennium integrated library system.
- OCLC’s Worldshare Management Services
Carol Grotnes Belk Library, Elon University
Key Responsibilities and Achievements:
- Provide leadership, direction and technical expertise for the library’s technology infrastructure and systems to ensure access to library resources.
- Serve as the library’s primary liaison with Instructional and Campus Technologies in communicating and resolving library technology needs and solutions.
- Advise, consult and mentor library staff in their use of technology, provide regular and on-demand training, and seek to make library staff independent and proficient users of technology. Assist library staff with special technology projects.
- As a faculty librarian, share in weekend and evening reference responsibilities, contribute to library committees and activities, and participate in university governance.
- Co-managed, with Cataloging Librarian Shannon Tennant, the migration from Innovative Interfaces’ Millennium to OCLC’s WMS ILS.
- Using SAS and OpenRefine I exported, cleaned, and standardized Millennium patron, item, and bibliographic records.
- Redesigned, with Emerging Technologies Librarian Vicki Siler, the Belk Library web site.
Technical Support Analyst
April 2008-June 2014
- Website updates and maintenance.
- Restructured the Media Resources Center’s website to a more CSS dependent version.
- Created a PHP/MySQL page to look up equipment reservations by patron name.
- Managed the integration of the Media Resources Center’s film database with Endecca, the primary catalog web interface.
- Supervised 30+ student assistants, primarily as the evening supervisor.
- Supervised and trained the MRC’s temporary research assistant.
- Provided training and support for faculty, staff and students with media creation in the digital media lab.
- Taught fundamental video editing with Adobe Premiere and Final Cut Pro.
- Taught patrons how to set up and access their University web accounts via ssh and/or sftp.
- Provided research assistance at the R.B. House Undergraduate Library reference desk.
- Provided training and support for faculty and students in the Undergraduate Library’s Design Lab.
- Taught fundamental Photoshop and scanning skills.
- Taught basic Virtual Lab (Citrix) access and setup.
- Created tab-delimited datasets from III Millennium, import them into SAS, and perform data cleaning and analysis.
- Centralized processing of new media.
- Gathered metadata, often in multiple languages, in preparation for copy or original cataloging.
- In-house production of labels and cases to make media shelf-ready.
Duke University Press
Books Staff Specialist
October 2007-April 2008
- Assisted in the planning, coordination and administration of all Books customer service activities.
- Assisted in planning methods to manage workloads.
- Updated Oracle database.
- Analyzed and refined workflow and processes.
Pharmaceutical Product Development, Inc.
Associate Programmer Analyst
May 2006-September 2007
- Performed complex, integrated computer programming and software development for clinical data applications, to include maintenance of existing systems and research/development for future enhancements.
- Designed, coded, tested and documented SAS programs for dataset creation, data analysis, data conversion/transfer, graphic production, and project reporting.
- Assisted in analyzing statistical programming needs in project proposals and guided project personnel in formulating appropriate data requirements; recommend optimum approach and developed SAS programs for approved projects.
User Interface Design Intern
September 2005-December 2005
- Conducted usability studies on prototype SAS interfaces.
- Learned SAS Enterprise Guide.
- Assisted in collection of contacts for User Interface project.
R.B. House Undergraduate Library
Graduate Research Assistant
September 2004-May 2006
- Identify, search for, and add full-text reserves articles from subscribed databases to the Docutek e-reserves system.
- Conduct instructional modules on document scanning and full-text linking for faculty Blackboard training sessions.
- Conduct training workshops with students, faculty, and staff on using Refworks web-based bibliographic management software.
- Assisted in the creation of the LinkGuide, a pathfinder that details the steps needed to create permanent links to articles in subscribed electronic databases.
- Supervise the library’s collaborative computer lab, including assisting users with software and scanner issues.
- Collection development.
Borders Books, Music, & Café (Borders Group Inc.)
August 1996-August 2004
- Managing a large multi-format store with over $6 million in annual sales.
- Training new supervisors and staff on merchandising and inventory systems.
- Integrating new technologies into existing systems.
- Scheduling 40+ employees and managers.
- Recruiting, interviewing, hiring, and terminating.
- Payroll budget administration.
- Maintaining corporate audit compliance.
- Physical plant maintenance.
- Loss Prevention.
- Restructured the receiving/shelving/alphabetizing system for maximum efficiency.
Assistant Manager (Music & Training)
- Supervision of 40+ employees.
- Driving sales.
- Recruiting, interviewing, conducting reference checks, and hiring.
- Orientation and training of new staff, as well as training of existing staff on new systems, technologies, policies, and procedures.
- Designed new training documents and refined store’s systems for training and follow up.
- Created and implemented system for cross-training staff in all three areas of store in order to triple store resources.
- Sales floor management, loss prevention, and cost control.
- Financial reporting, budget management, office support and cash reconciliation.
Special Projects and Assignments
Store Opening Project Manager (Retail Coordinator)
8/99-12/99 and 8/00-12/00
- Lead teams of staff in the setting up of large multi-format stores.
- Trained new managers and store trainers on company systems and procedures.
- Liaised between Corporate Offices, store management, general contractor & subcontractors.
- Ensured quality in store layout, fixtures, and physical plant operation.
- Acquisition of all necessary permits and certification.
- Opened stores on time and under budget.
Acting General Manager
Primary responsibilities same as Manager above.
- 5/00-7/00 (Cary, NC location)
- 8/01-10/01 (Greensboro, NC location)
Waldenbooks (Borders Group Inc.)
Bookseller & Keyholder
- Merchandising, ordering, receiving, and shelving.
- Assisted with all areas of bookstore, including maintenance of store, customer service, and cashiering.
- Opening & closing of store, including cash reconciliation and safe access.